Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Reason #11 Why I Love China

Cheap massages.

Last night a few of us girls decided we wanted to go get massages. Across the street from the restaurant we had dinner in was a massage place with signs in the front saying "Strain is Restored" and "Blind Person Manipulation." Even though the English was pretty bad, it didn't look as sketch as just a random door behind a fruit stand, which was our other option. So we headed in and they had all four of us lay on the bed things in one big open room. For one hour they give us "tui na" which is Chinese massage. My guy worked my shoulders and back a lot, and then my legs a whole lot. Some of it was pretty painful, and when I would tell him it was hurting he would say "It hurts now but it won't hurt later!" so I just dealt with the pain. Some of the time it was really ticklish so I was laughing a lot and then he wanted me to teach him the English for hurt and ticklish. He kept forgetting how to say it though, so finally he pulled a voice recorder out of his pocket and had me say it for him to record. Because my face was down in head opening, I didn't realize until half way through my massage that he was blind. His picture was on the wall so I think he's the main guy at that place. He was pretty chatty which was fun but it was also nice to not talk some of the time so I could just relax. They ended with a nice face/head massage which helped my headache a lot. Then he cracked my back for me and we were done.

My one hour massage was $7. He asked if I would come back every day. I said no, but really? $7? I'm thinking about it.

2 comments:

  1. I remember having one of those when I was there, and I definitely remember the pain! I'm glad you got to do it, and I'm really glad that the face/head part eased some of your headache pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that sounds awesome! you should also try to find a cheap acupuncture place!! but make sure they're legit. :)

    ReplyDelete