Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Quick Thought

As I was comparing the Chinese translation of 1 Corinthians 13 to the English in preparation for Bible study tonight, my eyes caught a verse I had underlined last semester:

"So I run with purpose in every step." 1 Corinthians 9:26a

It was exactly what I needed to read because this experience has been far more overwhelming than I could have imagined, and I was beginning to question my purpose in being here. Our classes are getting very difficult and our teachers are piling on tons of homework and quizzes every day, along with other assignments and tests. I'm starting to feel a little stressed because I do homework and study all day long and it's tiring because it seems so meaningless to study 60 characters a day when I know I will probably forget how to write them in another day or two. This verse reminded me that although I am learning so much, these Chinese classes are only giving me a temporary reward. But this is where God has me and that itself has purpose! Every afternoon I spend studying, every conversation over a meal I have with my friends, every night when my roommate and I talk in our room: all of these situations are filled with purpose.

I'm learning more and more every day about what my purpose here is. My purpose is to be still and know God is God, even when everything around me is in Chinese and I'm tired and can't express my feelings in my first tongue. My purpose is to better grasp the depth of God's love and believe it is satisfying beyond any other love. My purpose is to better showcase that perfect love to those around me. My purpose is to pray for opportunities to share the Gospel with others, so that one day together we can sing

"You are worthy to take the scroll and break its seals and open it. For you were slaughtered, and your blood has ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation."

Because that is what will glorify God most, and that is my purpose in every character I write and every test I study for and every conversation I have in Chinese.

Glorifying God is my purpose in every step.

2 comments:

  1. Sherri,
    That may be a "quick thought", but it is quite profound and Daddy and I praise God for what He's showing you. Thank you for so beautifully expressing your thoughts, these truths He is impressing upon your heart. We continue to pray He'll encourage your heart and give you the grace to persevere....Heb 12: 1-3...We love you! Mama and Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri,
    I just remain ever proud of you. It is human nature to question why God has planted us in any place or situation. I believe that is how we grow and get to know Him even better especially when we trust Him. You are miles ahead of many of us in your journey, both literally and figuratively. You are where you are meant to be, and the possibilities for your future are endless.

    ReplyDelete